From March 12th-29th, JUE | Music + Art is back with a vengeance. Brought to you by Split Works, this fiercely independent annual festival of mixed-media goodness will be going down at venues across Beijing and Shanghai during 17 days of spring, showcasing up-and-coming local and international artists of all stripes. Jue 2009 featured 25 events, 91 participating artists, and over 12,000 attendees. We’re going twice as big in 2010, with over 50 events, and participation from lots of wonderful artists, venues, movers and shakers in both cities.
Our goal is to bring community together in appreciation the best of the blossoming arts scenes in these two cities , and to stimulates local creative communities to present their work and have it promoted to a wider audience.
JUE | Music
- JUE | Music + Art Opening Party (Chairman Ca exhibit + Guest Musicans/DJs)
Beijing: March 11 @ D22, 20 RMB (students)/30 RMB
- JD Twitch (Optimo): UK dance music legend, coming to China straight from Jamaica Street in Glasgow, where he is resident DJ at Sub Club’s weekly Optimo parties, spinning everything from electro to post-punk to ‘50s swing music
Shanghai: March 19 @ Shelter, 70 RMB, with support DJs Fish and Jay Soul
Beijing: March 20 @ White Rabbit, 70 RMB, with support DJs Donald Summer and Maxime
- St. Vincent: Experimental folk rocker and indie crush-object from Houston, Texas.
Beijing: March 12 @ Yugong Yishan, 120 RMB
Shanghai: March 13 @ Yuyintang, 120 RMB
- Trippple Nippples: Japanese synth-punk freakazoids.
Shanghai: March 19 @ Yuyintang, 50 RMB
Beijing: March 20 @ 2 Kolegas, 50 RMB
- Dead Elvis & His One Man Grave: Zombie Rockabilly straight outta Disgraceland.
Beijing: March 12 @ D22, 50 RMB
Shanghai: March 20 @ LOgO, 50 RMB
- Julie Doiron: The fairy-godmother of Canadian indie rock, whose latest offering was the #1 album of 2009 on Canadian campus radio.
Shanghai: March 17 @ Yuyintang, 60 RMB
Qingdao: March 18 @ Qingdao Concert Hall, 50 RMB
Beijing: March 19 @ 2Kolegas, 60 RMB
- Bigger Bang! + Tookoo + The Disagree + Rubber Phonograph Needle + The Me Guan Me’s
Beijing: March 19 @ MAO, 50 RMB (presale)/60 RMB (door)
- Mamer & IZ: Kazakh Heros Return to Beijing (Guest: Wan Xiaoli)
Beijing: March 13 @ Mako Live House, 40 RMB (presale|student) / 50 RMB (door)
- Acupuncture Records: EP release party for Xiao Linfeng’s Cut Off,
Beijing: March 20 @ Lantern, Free Entry
- CrossTalk concert series, in which we take some of China’s most kickass live acts to new cities. The JUE CrossTalk bands are:
- Hanggai: Mongolian folk rockers/throat singers – Shanghai, March 12 @ Yuyintang, 50 RMB
- Omnipotent Youth Hotel: Mellow rockers from Hebei, with a traditional Chinese twist — Shanghai, March 20 @ Dream Factory, 50 RMB
- Yufeimen: Indie-electronica from Guangzhou – Shanghai, March 28 @ MAO, 60 RMB
- The Mushrooms, Nu-metal from Shanghai, performing in Beijing for the first time – Beijing, March 26 @ MAO, 50 RMB
And the Sonicbids winner is:
We teamed up with Planetary Group and US-based artist-promoter matchmaking service Sonicbids to arrange an all-expenses paid, 6-city China tour for one artist. There were no barriers to entry – anyone from anywhere in the world could apply.
We sifted through an extraordinary 773 applications, and in the end we chose Icelandic experimental composer and neo-classical multi-instrumentalist, Olafur Arnalds. Our mandate was simple – to choose a band/ artist that is well-positioned musically to use the Sonicbids tour as an entry into the China-market, an artist that really had a “fit” with China and that, at the same time, would bring something new to the audiences of this country. Olafur meets all these criteria in spades, not to mention that his music is gorgeous.
We’ll be announcing details of Olafur’s 6 China gigs after the Spring Festival, including anchor performances in Beijing and Shanghai as part of JUE.
JUE | Art Beijing
(Dates/details TBA on www.juefestival.com
unless otherwise noted)
- Three Shadows Photography: “Home – Project: An Exhibition by Milla-Kariina Oja,” March 6-27.
- Ullens Center for Contemporary Art: Zhang Yuan, H.H. Lim and Kehinde Wiley solo exhibitions, March 14-April 11.
- Chang Art Gallery: William Wegman exhibition, March 20-May2
- Red Gate Gallery: “Head On” multimedia exhibition, runs until March 18
- Xin Dong Cheng Contemporary Art Space: Wang Ningde Solo Exhibition, March 20-May 3
- Affordable Art Beijing: Pop-Up Art Store at The Orange, March 26-28.
- ChART Contemporary: Open House: A Room of One’s Own by Chen Ke, March 28 (location TBA)
- Yuanfen New Media Art Space: “Secret Language of Women.”
- Photography Exhibition from Steffi Jung and Ruben Malchow at Paper Asian Fusion Cuisine
- Film screening: Mancora at BED Bar
- Lebottle Photography
- Winnie Sidhartha, painter
- Zhu Yinghao, photographer.
- Events Co-Presented with The Bookworm International Literary Festival:
- PINGOD COMMUNITY EVENTS; Art / Design / Film
o Songwriting workshop with Julie Doiron at Yishu 8, March 19, 3-5pm, RMB 200.
JUE | Art Shanghai
(Dates/details TBA on www.juefestival.com
unless otherwise noted)
- Elisabeth de Brabant Art Center: Exhibitions of Lu Jun (photography), Shiau Jon Jen (sculpture), and Luo Er Qi (papercut and installation), March 1-31.
- LINC2 THEATRE COMPANY：screening event of their theatre work
Mar 6, Mar 13, Mar 20, Mar 27
- NeochaEDGE x IDLE BEATS Screen Printing Workshop, March 13.
- FQ Projects: Best of Time – Photography from Dai Mouyu, Guo Peng, Xu Shijun, Feb.-Apr.
- MOVING HOUSE! at Art Labor, March 5-26.
- Art + Shanghai Gallery – Xu Kong. Participating Artists: Fabria Alam, Fabrice Guyot, Huang Zhiyang, Wu Geng Zhen, March 5-April 28.
- Libido, Mortido at Island6, March 6-April 30.
- m97 Gallery: Han Lei solo photography exhibition, March 13-May 15.
- Art of Seeing: Decoding Chinese Contemporary Art: A series of art workshops aimed at developing analytical skills and building insider knowledge, RMB 300/class or RMB 850 for 3 classes, includes dinner.
March 14 @ OV Gallery, Class: 5-7pm; Dinner: 7-9 pm
March 21 @ ShanghART Gallery, Class: 5-7pm; Dinner: 7-9 pm
March 28 @ m97 Gallery, Class: 5-7pm; Dinner: 7-9 pm
Registration deadline: March 9, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shanghai Photographer Night @ Dada bar – Curated by Tim Franco with special guest Matthew Niederhauser, March 24.
- Andrew James Gallery: “Daytime Eats Night” Miyuki Akiyama Solo Exhibition, March 20-April 25.
- 5th Wall presents A Taste of Red at River South Art Center, March 20-21.
- Zuloo Theatre Productions.
- Studio Rouge: “Innocence” Yu Na solo exhibition, March 20-April 11.
- Shanghai Repertory Theater presents Shakespeare’s King Lear, March 24-28 at the Ke Center for Contemporary Arts
[flickr album=72157623544219760 num=5 size=Thumbnail]